Tuesday 19 July 2011

WHAT I DID TODAY.

When you are retired people often ask what you do all day as if you are sitting at home staring into space.
Today I cleaned for a friend after which I went grocery shopping. I bought ingredients to make food for the cafe I am running tomorrow from ten o'clock till two thirty. It is for the Knitting Group at Great Start. The cafe operates on a koha basis. I have to provide morning tea and lunch. We expect about a dozen people.The woman who usually runs it can't make it so I am filling in for a day.
I have made :
Italian Bean Soup
For this you need 2 or 3 carrots, 2 onions and about three celery stalks. I peel and prepare then chop in the food processor.
Put in a large pot with salt, oregano and stock. Add as much water as you like to make a thick or thin soup. Bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Add 1 can of Cannellini beans and 1 can of chopped tomatoes. You can also add if liked 3 or 4 rashers of pancetta bacon already cooked. Cook for another 10 minutes and serve.
With this I am serving bread rolls.
For desert I have made:
Orange and Almond Cake.
For this you boil three oranges in a large pot, covering them with water and boil for about an hour. remove and cool. When cool cut in quarters and puree. Add 1

teaspoon of baking powder and mix. Leave aside.
Now beat six eggs together with 1 and a quarter cups of castor sugar. Alternately add 4 cups of ground almonds with the pureed oranges to form a soft mixture.
Pour into a large greased cake tin or two smaller and bake at 180 degrees for an hour. Ice or make an orange syrup to serve.
That is the lunch.
For morning tea I am making scones tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. Wish I could belong to your knitting Group.

    ReplyDelete