Monday 18 July 2011

I WONDER

I wonder are we buying too many clothes?
The shops are already stocking up with summer clothes and we are just into the coldest part of the year. Some shops are having winter sales and have already had early and midwinter sales so I suppose after that you have to go to spring collections.
Everyone is saying that the cost of living is going up and times are hard.
When I was a child in England we had hard times after the Second World War. Then we were lucky to have two sets of clothes to wear. You had one for school and one for best. Even when we were better off in New Zealand lots of clothes were not a priority. We did in those days make our own mind you and knit cardigans and jumpers. Four sets of clothes would have been as many as I ever had growing up.
Gok the fashion guru, says that women wear only about one third of what they have in

their wardrobes. That means that in most wardrobes there is two thirds of the clothing sitting there doing nothing.
I have not bought any clothes for two years and manage to look O.K. I think. I'm sure it would benefit the planet if we spent less on clothes and shared our two thirds of the wardrobe we don't use with other people. I'm not sure how it would effect retailers though!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Fashion expert Paula Ryan says we should 'dress like a man' meaning only have the clothes we actually wear in our wardrobes and give the rest away. Good basics is the key.

    ReplyDelete