Wednesday 7 November 2012

IRISES:

THE IRIS IS NAMED AFTER THE GREEK GODDESS OF THE RAINBOW.

This spring, I rediscovered the beauty of the Flag or Bearded Iris, when I saw them in the Botanical Gardens.



We had a border of them that I had planted as a child, at our home in Guppy Road, Taradale, Napier. I was very fond of them and had beautiful plants in various shades.

 They are in every colour of the rainbow except a true red.


 This is one of my favourite irises.
I like the variegated shades of this one.

 Some are more or less one shade like these pale yellow and the bright purple ones.


 Here they are grouped in complementary colors.




Another paler purple iris with orange poppies.

Irises grow from rhizomes and once you have them, you can split them to form new plants.
I plan to get some for my garden to grow and enjoy next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment